Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Forty Nights with the Son of Man

When I walked into the desert I saw
a man on fire and you told me:
"He is a light to steer by, he burns forever
and there is no water to douse him"
It was as if by looking into his
eternal eyes I saw my life's ambitions.

When I walked into the desert I saw
a pillar of salt, and you told me:
"It is the wife of Lot, and Sodom lies beyond her."
It was as if I had found a signpost to my soul,
but she pointed to the earth itself.

When I walked into the desert I saw
a plain of obsidian, and you told me:
"There lies man's Eden, burned to the ground."
It was as if I had turned and looked back
into the world, and its glass cities.


When I walked out of the desert I saw

a tower of smoke topped with a star, and
you told me “Babel has pierced the Heavens.

Man has found his God, and His name is Science.”

And I left you there, the God of the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment